Canada Student Visa

Canada is a top-ten study destination worldwide, in terms of hosting international students. Between 2008 and 2016, the number of Canada study permit that become effective each year more than doubled. In 2008, a total of 128,411 study permits became effective whereas, in 2016, this figure was 267,780.

If you intend to study in Canada, you will likely need a ‘Study Permit’ popularly known as a Canada student visa in some parts of the world. A Study Permit is issued by the Canadian government which gives you permission to study in Canada for a temporary period. In most cases, the Study Permit specifies the particular educational institution and course of study. Approved study permits may be limited to study at a specific school, or a specific course of study.

Study Permits are temporary resident visas (TRV) and the requirements which need to be met are demanding prior to any approval by the Canadian government.

In the majority of public schools, students may also seek on-campus employment without a work permit, or, after a period of 6 months, seek off-campus employment on a part-time basis.

Pathway to Permanent Residence

International graduates of Canadian institutions may obtain a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) after their studies, allowing them to work anywhere in Canada, for any employer, for up to three years.

The growth in the number of PGWPs issued each year has seen a significant increase. At the end of 2008, there were approximately 15,600 PGWP holders. By the end of 2016, there were more than 101,000.

Work experience gained on a PGWP can contribute towards an international graduate’s eligibility for permanent residence programs and can provide a way to remain in Canada and work while an application for permanent residence is in process.

Canadian Study Permit Requirements

To be eligible to study in Canada, you must be accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada. Once you receive this acceptance, you can then apply for permission to study in Canada. It is important to make sure that the courses or programs that you choose in Canada conform with the type of study/work that you have completed in the past.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC ”) will be looking to see that your study plan is consistent with your past education.
You must also prove that you are able to financially support yourself during your studies and have sufficient funds to pay all your education fees. It is possible to include proof of financial support from your parents to help satisfy IRCC that you have the required funds to support your studies.In cases of minor children, IRCC will want to see that the minor has also made satisfactory arrangements for his or her care.

IRCC will want to ensure that you have sufficient ties to your home country and that you will return home once studies have been completed.

It is essential to note that certain institutions and lengths of programs will qualify you for off-campus and post-graduate work permits. If you are hoping to work during or after your studies, it is important to determine ahead of time whether your chosen school/program qualifies.

  • Satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies

  • Have a letter of acceptance from an educational institution

  • Prove that you have money for the duration of your stay in Canada to pay for tuition fees, and living expenses for yourself and accompanying family members.

  • Be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity Not be a risk to the security of Canada

Why Choose Pahl & Associates

Canada has one of the highest standards of education in the world. If you want to increase the prospects of your study permit being approved  we recommend you contact  Pahl & Associates,

Summary of our Full Representation Service:

  • Form preparation

  • Assembly of relevant supporting documentation

  • Prepare, submit and monitor application with IRCC on behalf of the Client

  • Interview preparation if required


Generally you can stay in Canada for the duration of your study permit. Look at your permit and it will tell you when it expires. In some cases, you can apply for an extension.

Yes, but only under limited circumstances such as when:
Your employment is on-campus;
The international student is the recipient of a scholarship;
The work has been certified as being an integral part of the program of study;
The work consists of academic research or a post-doctoral fellowship;
The work takes place after graduation in a field related to the program of study.
Spouses of international students are eligible to work temporarily in Canada.
There are other ways to work while on a study permit depending on where you study in Canada.

No. You do not require a Study Permit when:
You take a French or English language training course that is no more than three months in duration; or
You are the spouse or dependent child; a diplomatic or consular officer; a representative of a foreign country; or a representative of the United Nations or any other intergovernmental organization of which Canada is a member.

Yes you can. You will need to file Form IMM 1249. This immigration visa form is used by individuals who want to file for an extension of their study permit in Canada. Individuals submit form IMM 1249 to change conditions or to extend their stay in Canada as students. This application is for temporary residents who reside currently reside in Canada as students.
Note: Individuals holding valid current temporary resident status can apply for an extension of their stay, provided they apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of their current status.


Canada Immigration Law


Monday – Friday 9:00 – 17:30
Weekends Closed
Bank Holidays Closed
Designated learning institutions list
Study in Canada

Book a Consultation

The first step in studying in Canada is to schedule a consultation with Pahl & Associates for an in-depth assessment of your proposed Study Permit application. Complete contact form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to schedule a mutually convenient appointment.

Contact Form