Government of Canada Eliminates Conditional Permanent Residence

The Government of Canada has removed the condition that applied to some sponsored spouses or partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to live with their sponsor in order to keep their permanent resident status.

Under the old regulation, you had to live with your sponsor for two years if, at the time you applied:

  • Your relationship was less than two years; and

  • You had no children in common.

The condition was introduced as a means to deter people from seeking to immigrate to Canada through non-genuine relationships. By removing the condition, the Government recognizes that, while cases of marriage fraud exist, the majority of relationships are genuine and most spousal sponsorship applications are made in good faith.

Eliminating conditional permanent residence upholds the Government’s commitment to family reunification and supports gender equality and combating gender violence. As a result of the requirement for the sponsored spouse or partner to live with their sponsor, an imbalance between the sponsor and the sponsored spouse or partner could have been created, potentially making the sponsored spouse or partner more vulnerable.

What happens now

Effective today, conditional permanent residence no longer applies to anyone, whether:

  • you were sponsored by your spouse or partner for permanent residence, or

  • you were sponsored by someone who had conditional permanent residence (i.e. child or parent).

You don’t need to do anything. We just want you to know.

If you receive your Confirmation of Permanent Residence on or after April 18, 2017 and it indicates that you “must cohabit in a conjugal relationship with your sponsor or partner for a continuous period of 2 years after the day on which you became a PR”, this requirement no longer applies to you.

If you were under investigation for not complying with the requirement to live with your spouse or partner, you are no longer under investigation.

In order to uphold the integrity of the immigration system, the Government will continue to investigate allegations of marriage fraud. To report fraud, including marriage fraud, contact the Canada Border Services Agency Border Watch Toll-Free Line at 1-888-502-9060.

Pahl & Associates’ expertise in representing UK-based clients Canada Family Class applications extends beyond 15 years. We are here to help you through these procedures and the necessary paperwork. We are passionate about our goal to assist families from the UK move to Canada with minimal stress.

We strongly recommend that you read our testimonials to gauge our level of expertise and professionalism. Our client reviews have always been our best form of advertising!

It is important to note that this article is for general information only. The immigration laws are always subject to change. We are a UK-based, CICC registered company. Feel free to contact us for advice about Canada Family Class applications if you are not sure about the eligibility criteria.

For more information CLICK HERE

Please feel free to contact us for free no-obligation consultation via email or by phone on  0345 055 9861.

For the latest Canadian Government eligibility criteria CLICK HERE

What to do if you’re in an abusive situation

In Canada, abuse is not tolerated. If you are a sponsored spouse or partner and are experiencing abuse or neglect by your sponsor or their family, you do not have to remain in that abusive situation. Find out how to get help.

The above announcement was isssued by the Government of Canada on April 28 2017.

Date modified:

Make An Appointment

The first step in moving to Canada is to schedule a consultation with Pahl & Associates for an in depth assessment of your Canadian immigration options. Please complete our contact form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to schedule a mutually convenient appointment.