Federal Skilled Worker Class

Alert !!!   The Federal Skilled Worker Program has became a part of the new Express Entry Program on January 1st 2015. We have provided key information below with important links to the official Canadian government website.


Read more....

Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers



As of January 2015, Canada has a new system to manage how people apply to this program. It is called Express Entry.


Minimum requirements


Skilled work experience


Your work experience must be:

  • at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
  • in the same NOC skill type (0, A or B) ,
  • within the last 10 years, and
  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).

You must show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you cannot show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you are not eligible under this program.

Find out the NOC code, title and skill type or level for your job.


Language ability


You must:

You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.




You must have:

Six selection factors to attain minimum 67 points to enter Canada as skilled worker via Express Entry route


If you meet all the conditions set out in the minimum requirements,  your application will be assesed on the selection factors in the federal skilled worker points grid.Footnote 1


The selection factors are:

  • your skills in English and/or French (Canada's two official languages),
  • your education,
  • your work experience,
  • your age,
  • whether you have a valid job offer, and
  • your adaptability (how well you are likely to settle here).

To see how many points you might get, read about the selection factors.


Proof of funds


You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada, unless you:

  • are currently able to legally work in Canada, and
  • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.


Principal applicant


If you are married or live with a common-law foreign national partner in Canada, and that person also meets the above conditions, you can decide which one of you will apply under Express Entry as a principal applicant.

A common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. Common-law partner refers to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples.


Look at each selection factor and see which one of you is most likely to meet the eligibility requirements and earn the most points. That person should apply as the principal applicant.


Other requirements

  1. You must be admissible to Canada. Find out more about inadmissibility.
  2. You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

If you have skilled work experience and want to live in Canada permanently, use our Come to Canada tool to see if you are eligible for the Express Entry pool.



Footnote 1

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess federal skilled workers. This means you earn points for how well you do in each of the six factors. The total points will show if you qualify for the Express Entry pool. The current pass mark is 67 points.


Express Entry and Federal Skilled Workers


The pass mark will stay at 67 points in order to enter Express Entry Profile 


     For people fluent in the English language this means they can now earn up to 24 points for English ability instead of 16.


4)    You can no longer claim ‘adaptability’ points for your partner’s level of education but you can claim extra points if they speak English.


5)      The Immigration Minister can now change the language requirements needed to earn points. This means that the CIC can increase or decrease the number of applications who meet requirements and control the numbers of immigrants accepted.


6)      The way points for age are added has changed too, you can now earn up to 12 points for age instead of 10 but from the age of 36 you will lose one point each year. There will now be NO points for people aged 46 and over; so the old system of awarding point up to the age of 50 no longer applies.


7)      The highest number of points you can earn for work experience is now reduced from 31 to 15.


8)      Points for education will now be given depending on what the Canadian equivalent of your qualification is. Your education records will be investigated by an independent organisation to see how they match the Canadian education awards and it will no longer matter how many years you have spent in education.

9)      For a Master’s degree you will earn 23 points, for an ordinary degree (3 years post-secondary school) you will earn 21 and for an HND 19 points. 


10)   Arranged Employment opinions will not be valid anymore and for Arranged Employment your employer will have to apply for a Labour Market Opinion.


11)   The minimum settlement funds amount will not change much, although bear in the mind that they always go up slightly every year.


Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

Four organizations have been designated to provide the now-required independent third party assessments of foreign educational credentials for applicants who studied outside of Canada. These assessments, which must be completed before an application is submitted, are aimed at helping newcomers through the FSWP to get off to a better start and into the Canadian labour force more quickly when they arrive

This important change took effect on May 4, 2013, is the introduction of the educational credential assessment (ECA). Prospective applicants may start the process of getting an ECA before May 4 if they are planning to submit a foreign educational credential. However, applicants should keep in mind the other program eligibility requirements listed above, i.e. whether they have a qualifying offer of arranged employment or are applying under the PhD stream or eligible occupations stream; and if they meet the minimum language threshold through a designated third-party test. Applicants who have Canadian educational credentials do not need to get an ECA, unless they are also submitting a foreign educational credential in support of their application.

The ECA process will help determine if the foreign educational credential is authentic and equivalent to a completed credential in Canada. For prospective applicants, the ECA can provide a realistic understanding of how their foreign educational credentials are likely to be recognized in Canada.




*I* IMPORTANT TIPS:  If you want to apply it is essential to act quickly; it can take several weeks to get a place for an IELTS test and having your educational records checked which can take over a month.


      The new rules clearly are designed to favour the most organised who are able to submit their applications in a timely manner.  for each occupation. The smart applicant will realise he has one shot to get his or her application accepted. If an application has even a minor flaw, it risks being returned without processing.


Do wish to arrange an appointment to discuss your eligibility as a skilled worker via the Express Entry route?


Give us a call on  0345 055 9861or use our contact form.


Please note our fee for a personal consultation is £125. 



For the latest Express Entry draw information and CRS Ranking Score history 


Click here.




Pahl & Associates

Suite 7, Neals Corner
2 Bath Rd


London TW3 3HJ

United Kingdom


Tel: 0345 055 9861


Email bspahl@visa2canada.com





To book an appointment please phone our office or use our contact form.




Our normal weekday office hours are 9am to 6pm.


The office is closed on weekends and Bank Holidays



If our phone line is busy or you are unable to speak directly with Mr Pahl, please leave a detailed message or send an email. We will endeavour to contact you within 24 hours



Regulated and Accredited Member of ICCRC and CAPIC