Family Sponsorship

SPECIAL OFFER  This month we are offering free initial 15-minute phone consultations to Canadian nationals based in the UK seeking to sponsor their spouses/partners and families for immigration to Canada.

Family Sponsorship - Who is it for?

Immigration to Canada through family sponsorship is available to eligible relatives of Canadian citizens or permanent residents.


The sponsored applicant must be related to the sponsor in one of the following ways:


  • Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner
  • Parent or grandparent
  • Dependent child
  • A brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild who is orphaned, unmarried, and under 18 years of age
  • Intended adopted child under 18 years of age
  • One other relative provided the sponsor has no relative matching the above list, and no relatives who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Types Of Spouse/PartnerRelationships

There are currently three different relationship categories that exist for spousal sponsorship: marriage, common-law, and conjugal. Depending on the kind of relationship, you may have different requirements in order to have your application accepted.


You can sponsor a person as your spouse if that person is legally married to you. A marriage between two persons of the same sex will also be recognized for immigration purposes, if the marriage was legally performed in Canada, or was performed outside of Canada in a country where marriage between two persons of the opposite sex is legally recognized.

Common Law

You can sponsor a person as your common-law partner if that person is of the opposite or same-sex as
you and that other person have cohabited in a conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year, and
your relationship with that person is continuing.


You can sponsor a person as a conjugal partner if
that person is of the opposite or same sex, that person is residing outside Canada (that is, has, for legal purposes, a fixed, permanent and principal home outside Canada), and you have maintained a conjugal relationship with that person for at least one year, that is you have been in a committed and mutually interdependent relationship of some permanence where you have combined your affairs to the extent possible.

Overseas Sponsorship v Inland Sponsorhip

When sponsoring a spouse or common-law partner, the application is normally processed at a Canadian Visa Office in the country where the applicant normally resides.


Canadian citizens who currently reside in the UK can sponsor their family members and complete the immigration process without having to return to Canada! The Canadian government recently confirmed that they are very keen on keeping families together and family sponsorship applications will remain a priority.


We specialise in assisting Canadian citizens with their Family Sponsorship applications.  View the many TESTIMONIALS from satisfied clients. 

Who can become a sponsor

You can become a sponsor if you are:

  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:
  • if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident
  • you can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • have enough income to provide for basic needs of any grandchildren (dependent children of a dependent child) of the principal applicant
  • If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.

To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependents must not be criminally or medically inadmissible to Canada

Who cannot become a sponsor  


  • you have failed to pay:
  • an immigration loan
  • a performance bond
  • family support payments
  • have failed to provide for the basic needs of a previously-sponsored relative who received social assistance
  • are under a removal order
  • are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison
  • receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • are still going through the process of bankruptcy (undischarged bankruptcy)
  • were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than five years ago
  • sponsored a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a permanent resident
  • you have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision on your application hasn’t been made yet
  • you were convicted of a violent or sexual offence, or an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative—or you attempted or threatened to commit any of these offences

Free 15 min Consultation

This is offer is available for phone consultations to review your requirements, eligibility for the Canadian Family Class progam and review potential inadmissability factors.

Retainer Agreement

Once we have been instructed a Retainer Agreement is provided confirming your obligations as a client and for Pahl & Associates as your authorised representative.

Legal Advice

Pahl & Associates will prepare, submit and monitor your Family Sponsorship application until a decision has been made by the Canadian immigration authorities.


There are currently three different relationship categories that exist for spousal sponsorship: marriage, common-law, and conjugal. Depending on the kind of relationship, you may have different requirements in order to have your application accepted.

Who can the sponsorship include?

The family class sponsorship programme covers your spouse or common-law partner as well as any dependent children you may have. Further, a Canadian national residing in the UK can sponsor their partner and complete the whole application process while still living in the UK. It does not mean that you would have to return to Canada first before being able to sponsor your family in the UK.

How long does the whole process take?

You will be pleased to know that family class sponsorship applications are treated as a priority by the Canadian government. In our long experience of representing this category of application and based upon the volume of our client historical data, a well-prepared spouse/partner application considered by the Canadian High Commission in London is usually processed within  6  months. Although this can vary slightly due to the number of applications and seasonal fluctuations. However, we are pleased to report that a recent client application was finalised in just three short months from the date of submission to the issue of landing papers!

Will I need to attend an interview?

It is sometimes necessary for the Canadian government to request an interview before a visa can be issued. This occurs when there are concerns over the genuineness of the family relationship. In most cases, a well-prepared visa application is usually enough to eliminate the need for an interview.

Sponsoring Parents and Grandparents

There are two main options for Canadian citizens and permanent residents to apply for a parent or grandparent to join you in Canada.

  1. Canada's parents and grandparents sponsorship program. This has a yearly cap on the number of applications that are accepted.
  2. Super Visa Program which allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada on extended multi-entry visas that could last up to a total of 10 years. 

Whichever program you choose, it is important that you ensure that the parent or grandparent meets the eligibility requirements and that the sponsor themselves meet Canada's sponsorship requirements. 

Family Sponsorship - Latest News

Ottawa, April 28, 2017 - Government of Canada Eliminates Conditional Permanent Residence

The Government of Canada has removed the condition that applied to some sponsored spouses or partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to live with their sponsor in order to keep their permanent resident status.

Oct 24, 2017- Increase in Age for Dependants


The age limit of dependent children (for immigration purposes) has changed from “under 19” to “under 22.” This change applies to all new applications received on or after October 24, 2017.

We specialise in representing UK based sponsors

Our success rate for the past 10 years has been exemplary for our Family Sponsorship applicants!

Achieving such success is due to the diligent manner in which Pahl & Associates reviews eligibility and submits applications prepared in a professional manner.


To make completely sure that your spouse or partner has the right eligibility to meet the family class sponsorship requirements, you can always contact us for a free consultation. 


We encourage you to review our client testimonials to gauge our level of service and professionalism. CLICK HERE


We are here to help Canadian nationals based in the UK who are seeking to sponsor their spouses/partners and families for immigration to Canada. We have a wealth of experience to assist you, no matter what your particular situation.


Get in touch today – we are ready and waiting to assist you.


Please watch our video for more details about our service. CLICK HERE

Print Print | Sitemap
© Pahl & Associates